Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I was stuck in traffic, of course I had to keep myself occupied.

Multitasking is my best friend. It's the peanut butter to my jelly. It's the milk to my cookies. It's the water to my ocean. I can't go 10 minutes and not have something (iPhone, iPad, Mac Book, Kindle Fire, etc...) in my hands playing. Am I important? In the grand scheme of things, nope. I am just a normal person that has been bitten by the technology bug; the symptoms include: twitching, boredom, sarcasm, and narcissism. I remember in high school when I would leave my house, go to school, and then go to work or after school activities- WITHOUT CALLING OR TEXTING ANYONE- and always with the promise of "calling you later." There was no Facebook (and thank God for that- I couldn't imagine having to survive the battlefields of high school with the added pressure of being popular on the world wide web), no Twitter, and very little blogs out there for the bored teenager to peruse.  We had to go to the library to "research" and coffee shops to hypothesize why our qparents wanted to ruin our personal life.  Life was so simple. I was completely and utterly happy and healthy. And, really it all boils down to that one word, "healthy." I could go to bed late, get up early, and only worry about... Nothing. I had no "real"" worries. I work at a small non-profit, Family Compass (formally known as the Child Abuse Prevention Center) with ladies I love and clients I adore. I have part time hours (due to illness), but in my heart I'm always there. We recently had our Celebrity Waiter Gala and I had the pleasure (and luck) of winning the iPad 3. My husband's first response was "now I'll never see you;" of course he said it all in fun, but I started to analyze why gadgets and technology are so important to me. I predict 50% (if not more) of my time is spent either sick/ not feeling well, waiting at the doctor's office for tests or appointments, or in the emergency room/ hospital. My iPad keeps me connected, my Kindle Fire helps me escape my world, and my phone helps me feel safe and grounded. If I'm home, I curl up on my couch with everything I need within arm's reach- gadgets (with chargers), pillow, Nap blanket (from Brookstone- to die for), phone, remote, and water. Do I spend way too much money on gadgets? Hell yeah I do (and if I could find a way to get my health insurance to cover it, I totally would. "Hey Dr. A- could you write me a prescription for the iPhone 4s? Thanks a bunch!"). The Internet is my group therapy; I have found so many young women who have gone through this; this life saving operation that changes you mind, body and soul. You have no idea how blessed you are- with every functioning organ- until you lose one to disease. It's like the game Jenga- you pull one block out and the whole tower suffers.

No comments:

Post a Comment