Tuesday, April 17, 2012

how are you?

I’m fine.

As I lay in bed yesterday having my monthly pity party, I realized that I am definitely not fine. I’m so tired (prolly because I’m chronically ill). I’m in so much pain (prolly because my gallbladder and liver are fucked). I feel so guilty (prolly because I have a healthy 10 year old daughter and an even healthier 30 year old husband and I have no energy to be good wife/ mommy).

I have many health issues, this is no surprise. I have a permanent ileostomy (google it- it’s pretty fantastic). I have been recently diagnosed with Triple A Syndrome (it’s even more fantastic than the ileostomy). All of my issues first presented as problems with swallowing food- it would get stuck, hurt, and I would have to make myself throw up to relieve the unpleasantness of the whole situation. So, for the past 3 years, every 6 months or so, I go in for a routine esophageal dilation. After I have the procedure done I can swallow my meds, my food, hell, even a whole rotisserie chicken. Unfortunately last year my normal GI doc left UT Southwestern and I am currently stuck with some asshole who doesn’t believe that the dilations are helping and refuses to do anymore. His suggestion: liquid diet. I’M 32 YEARS OLD. I have liquefy everything I eat? Seriously? This is so not ok.

The other “issue” I am having right now is my stoma. It’s long. Like, flaccid penis long.

Remember this guy? This is my stoma.

Unfortunately my stoma is working. Mechanically speaking, it’s perfect. I may be picky, but

I want it to at least look pretty and be shorter so I don’t have to change my bag ev.ery.day. And we aren’t even to summer- last year we had a record breaking heat way- my bag didn’t stay on 12 hours. It is exhausting.

Am I ok? Nope. But, I hope someday I will be- because I cannot live for 50+ years like this.

“Oh dear.”

2 comments:

  1. Casey you are not seeing the bright side in any of this. Think of all the awesome soft food out there....Apple Sauce....Peanut butter, ramen noodles....

    So what if you're 32, you can eat like a 5 yr old!

    Seriously though, this sucks. I know it does. It seems like one shit storm after the other. I'm sorry that it blows.Just remember you're allowed to be sad and angry, but eventually you have to buck the fuck up and live your life.

    Any blog more, seriously woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J- you know you are on of my favorite people, right? Seriously, borders on stalking.

      Delete